Friday, October 24, 2014

NaNoWriMo Countdown 9 days

To His Majesty, the King Tairen,

Tairen, it is always good to hear from you. I was sorry to miss the coronation, but you were the one who sent me away. I hope that my monthly reports have been sufficient to inform you of our progress here. I will be on my way to court within the week. I will bring a few written patterns, I have been experimenting with protection magic and have come up with some interesting results. The ward I have been crafting has come out properly the last three of five times and I am close to perfecting it. It is a tedious and time consuming process but the results could guarantee the safety of your person as well as anyone you bring within its warding power.

I must admit, some of the reason that I have chosen to focus on protection or wards as I am calling them is because of what my brother is doing. Britten has discovered that in death there is power, and that power makes me wary. I have tried it, this power that he has found so alluring, and it is alluring. It is fascinating and opens up a realm of possibilities that Britten is trying to explore. That lure, however, is what is keeping me from it. I have stepped back and contented myself in observation and what I have seen is disturbing. The use of blood in magic is like universal ingredient and things that previously required much preparation can be done with a simple pattern. But the cost is great and the potential repercussions are dire. The greater the creature the greater the power and Britten has started mixing his own blood and those of some of the more willing servants in with his cow’s blood.

I am afraid for him, in a way I did not understand at first. I will bring his research along with my own when I travel to the capital, but I must warn you, his notes are not altogether sane. This blood magic is taking something from him, and I almost do not recognize him as my brother. These experiments with magic, this attempt to harness this new power, it has costs and my brother is paying them.

I must admit, I am loath to leave Britten. He is teetering on madness in this pursuit of his and I am frightened of what sort of power he might abuse while I am gone. My old friend, I urge you to be wary of this magic. I do not trust it.

Tell Sora that the children will have to meet another time, my family is at their summer retreat and it is far too long a distance for the short time I will be in court.

High Consul of the Court,

Jennan

No comments:

Post a Comment