Sunday, October 5, 2014

Devotions: Life of Moses Exodus 5-6:27

In chapter 5 of Exodus, Moses does exactly what God told him to do. He is flying high from the confirmation of the Israelite leaders and goes and asks Pharaoh, to let his people go worship for 3 days. And then the unthinkable happens, Pharaoh says no. Moses must have reeled, maybe even asked again, wait, what did you say? I thought I heard, no? No! Oh you really did say no! And then, to top it all off, Pharaoh makes life even harder for the Israelites that Moses is trying to deliver – again! This is Moses second attempt in his life to be the leader that delivers his people. And understandably, both he and the Israelites hit rock bottom. They cry out first to Pharaoh and then to Moses, who cries out to God. (This order is a little backwards so I think the children of God still have some learning to do!)

They are discouraged, and frustrated! Moses asks God why did he do this? Why did he bring him out here only to fail? The circumstances of his calling had changed dramatically. He went from being called on the mountain of God to deliver his people to being told no and causing more hardship. Moses must have felt like God needed to revise his plan. It wasn’t working! Something was wrong, either him, or the Pharaoh or maybe even God’s plan in the first place.

In chapter 6 God answers Moses. (For being such a whiner, Moses sure gets some pretty compassionate responses back from God, revealing God’s character.) In this chapter, God outlines who he is, what he will do and that Moses will do it. Almost an exact repetition of what he told Moses on the mountain.

To Moses – the change in circumstances demanded a change in the plan.

To God – the plan never changed.

How many times do I get discouraged about my circumstances? God calls me to something, and when I move to obey him my life changes, the people around me change, my support structure shrinks or my personality seems to do back-flips on my ability to do what I am called to do. But even though I think it’s time to go back to the drawing board, is God asking me to continue? He sees all, I have limited vision. Maybe, as with Moses, the set-back that I feel requires a complete plan overhaul was part of the plan the whole time. God’s plans are infallible, and he will make a way, because he is faithful to see it through.


If God has shown you a plan, and you think that circumstances have now made that plan void, be quiet and listen. Is God still saying the same things? Maybe your change in circumstance doesn’t require a change in God’s divine plan for your life, and for the world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment