Wednesday, October 22, 2014

NaNoWriMo Countdown 10 days

In honor of NaNoWriMo being 10 days away, I am going to post part of a short history story I am writing as background to my NaNo Novel. There are seven parts to this story and I will post one letter a day for the next seven days. Then with three days to go, maybe we'll learn a little more about my main character? 

To the High Consul of the Court, 
The Mage Jennan,

I hope that this letter finds you well, and is not entirely unexpected. It’s been sixth months since I have had the pleasure of your presence in court and I miss your sharp wit and unexpected insight. I did not think that our friendship would suffer from my move from crown prince to King, but my free time has only become more restricted.  I have heard that you and Britten have discovered some remarkable things. You will have to bring them with you so that we can add them to the library. I need you in court Jennan, so that we can discuss this magic and what it will do to our kingdom.

I am surrounded by men grasping at power, and the shifting trade routes are causing some frustration. Many would have me take what you are doing and use it as leverage. From what you have written, it does not seem like that kind of power. The power to strengthen buildings or heal the sick is power that will help grow our kingdom, not tear another apart. I grow weary of the war-mongers but I must admit that they have a point, the kingdom’s around us are concerning and we can use all the help we can get.

Despite these issues, I am more concerned about the disturbing rumors about what Britten has been doing, and what you have denounced. What could put such a rift between the two of you? Practically inseparable, you were always equals as you experimented. What is this kind of magic that you would spurn its knowledge while your brother experiments freely? I have heard only that it is violent, but what in our world isn’t? If there is merit in this magic, I would know of it. Bring as much of your experiments and your brother’s with you when you come. It may be that even unsavory power is power worth having. Leave Britten behind however, he does not have your poise in court and has never been one to garner favor with my advisors.

Sora sends her love, and reminds me to ask you to bring your family. Your son must be close to five now. Last we saw of him he was barely toddling around! Bring him so that our children can learn to know each other just as we did.  

His Majesty the King,
Tairen

No comments:

Post a Comment