Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Zucchini Anonymous

Welcome. Welcome all you Zucchini growers. We experience this phenomenon every year. Spring time comes, and with blissful ignorance (pretending like last year and the year before and the year before that never happened) we rise and shine and plant our zucchini plants. Yes. Plants. Plural. Then, as summer draws towards August, it begins.

Piles of Zucchini start appearing in our kitchens, make their way to our workplaces to meet and greet with other Zucchini's and have daring conversations about who would like to take them home. Mounds of these squash sit lonely and dejected waiting for the one person in the office who didn't recognize this tradition of growing the prolific squash and doesn't already have more than they can handle at home.

Now normally, at this point in the summer, you have already sauteed your way into Zucchini hell. There is only so many times you can have fresh Zucchini before you grow to loath the little buggers and wonder what could have persuaded you to make this same mistake again! If you are anything like my family, by now you have already consumed dozens of loafs of zucchini bread, with nuts, without nuts, with chocolate chips, without chocolate chips. Warm with butter, cold for breakfast. You are realizing also, by this point, that all those loafs aren't just disappearing, they are reappearing. On your hips.

So welcome to my Zucchini mission: find new and exciting ways of making Zucchini in an attempt to curb the pounds and hold back on the frying pan. I have had a few successes. Between the two of us, my mother and I have incorporated Zucchini in: Lasagna, Quiche, and a delicious Tomato Zucchini Casserole.

Anyone else have ideas? My Zucchini are still growing...




2 comments:

  1. Hahaha...I love this. I'm kind of a zucchini fiend myself, but ours haven't grown very successfully this year. Wish you could mail some down :P I'd eat zucchini bread, hips or no hips...I've discovered zucchini is also good in scrambled eggs (cooked down a little first) as well as sauteed with yellow squash, mushrooms, and onions. Makes a good topping for rice, pasta, or chicken.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ironically, we haven't had as much zucchini this year as in years past... the first year I want to experiment. But yes it is delicious :)

      Delete