Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Rearranging Furniture on the Titanic

Growing up, my mother frequently used the phrase "I'm just rearranging furniture on the Titanic". She always used it when she was expressing opinions on this or that thing we were doing that ultimately wouldn't really change the outcome of what was going to happen. Just now, I finally looked up the phrase and discovered that it is more commonly put as "rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic" but the essence of the phrase remains the same.

I have found that I have adopted a stance that frequently falls into the category of rearranging the furniture on the Titanic. I have been forming opinions about my life, the direction that I want it to go, the way I want it to work that ultimately will have no effect on what will be. After all, a few years from now, none of it will matter. Who cares whether I had a nice car or a home with five bedrooms or three cats and two dogs. The reality is, all of this is superfluous, all of it is rearranging a life that is figuratively doomed to sink.

So instead of arranging and rearranging my current life, shouldn't I be focused on what really matters? The end result? My relationship with Jesus which will affect so much more than simply what I will be here on earth - but ultimately what I will be forevermore?

For a while now, I have been praying a prayer that asks what God wants me to do with my life, where he wants me to go, what he wants my goals to be. I have come to a realization - not exactly the answers I was looking for - but a realization that should change my life. To an extent, God doesn't care. He just wants us to follow him, love his son, and love his people. All the rest - it's just rearranging furniture on the Titanic.

1 comment:

  1. SO encouraging, Kathryn! Thanks for the reminder! I've been arrested by a very similar realization lately. He doesn't necessarily have a micromanaged Will for where I will work, what kind of car I drive, etc. What He wants, always and in every situation, is for me to know and love Him more. And that's the litmus test for everything else I'm doing. Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete