Sunday, January 25, 2015

Devotions: Life of Moses Leviticus 25-27

Everything belongs to the Lord. Everything. This passage about the sabbath year and the year of Jubilee is truly pointing towards the fact that everything in the world belongs to the one who created it. Our "ownership" is really stewardship. Otherwise there would be no reason to forgive debts, free slaves and return to the land previously given to your family. God is reminding his people, they are his, the land is his, and in order to walk in covenant relationship with him, they need to follow his commands and treat the land and their people with the respect that he commands.

We don't have a sabbath year, or a year of Jubilee. I am not a farmer and I don't own slaves or have servants. But the principle of the sabbath year and the year of Jubilee is about he way we treat our brothers and sisters, in Christ or otherwise. God is calling us to trust him for our lives and prosperity. To show kindness to the poor, to take in impoverished family, to treat our homes and our money like they are not our possessions but the Lords. Because they are the Lords. How much more will heaven be worth than these "treasures" we have here? What is really important is that we can live in the presence of God. 

I may not be able to implement a jubilee year, but I can treat my possessions as what they are - God's possessions. And I can treat my life like what it is - for I am a servant of God, bought with the blood of Jesus, redeemed from the debt of sin, and brought to live in his house, wretched and poor as I am. Thank you Lord. 

No comments:

Post a Comment