Sunday, December 7, 2014

Devotions: Life of Moses Exodus 35:1-40:38

"Throughout all their journeys, whenever the cloud was taken up from over the tabernacle, the people of Israel would set out. But if the cloud was not taken up, then they did not set out till the day that it was taken up." Exodus 40:36-37

I feel like the story of the Israelites through Exodus could so easily be the story of any persons life. You spend time in constant circles of doubt, confidence in your own strength, failure, trust in God, and then spiritual mountaintop experiences followed by drinking the ash of your idols. Life is a journey, and God wants to be our navigator.

Like Moses, I've told God that I don't have the skills that He needs to accomplish what he desires.
Like the Israelites, I have failed to trust God's promises even if he has recently proven himself in my life.
Like the Elders and Aaron, I have led others astray by compromise within my own life.
Like Moses, I have leaned on God and asked for forgiveness.
Like the Israelites I have shown genuine repentance.

And mercifully, like the tabernacle, I have God in the Holy Spirit dwelling inside of me, with me. God is so good, so loving, so merciful and kind, but he is also the holy and righteous God, the ruler of creation and the only righteous judge. Israel had a bumpy journey through the first year, rescued from Egypt, taken into the arms of a jealous God whom they had very little experience with. Making promises they could not keep, and then failing in them. But they came to the realization that they could not make this journey without the Lord. They repented, they asked God to forgive them and dwell among them again. And when He did, they followed Him. Literally, they followed Him. When the cloud was taken up, they followed after it, when the cloud stayed put, they stayed put.

I don't have a physical cloud to follow. I can't point towards the sky and say, "God want's me to go that way" but I do have his word, and I have his spirit. I have direction and I have a way of learning his desires and will for my life. I have set out on my own, I have created idols, I have told God that he doesn't know what is best for my life, but that doesn't work out. God is a jealous God. He is jealous of the love of his creation. He deserves our undivided attention, our ability to put the world away and focus on Him. He wants to lead us to the promised land. Yes, it takes a lifetime to get there, but he knows the way. He knows how best to keep us out of danger, away from the wild animals, away from the nations that would destroy us. He knows how best to bless our lives, or how best to protect us - whether physically, emotionally, or spiritually.

Thank you Lord for giving us your word. For mirroring even in this old story, both your plan for the world through your son and the journey that you want to take us on. Lord, you alone are worthy of all of our praise and our admiration. Thank you for giving us your Holy Spirit to dwell among us. May I only ever depart when you are leading, and be content to stay put when you tell me to wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment