Sunday, March 1, 2015

Devotions: Life of Moses Numbers 20 & Psalm 90

Moses sinned and was banned from ever seeing the promised land. Immediately, reading the passage, you think: okay how? His sin isn't obvious at first glance. He struck the rock when God said speak to it, he was angry with the people when God didn't instruct him to chastise, but God says he failed to honor him and trust in him.

That made me pause. A while ago I read a novel adaptation of the life of Hezekiah from 2 Kings and he had a similar problem, he was doing everything right, causing the people and his kingdom to turn back to God, but in one instance he claimed the deeds of the Lord as his own and was punished severely for it.

How often do I do this? How often do I allow things that are not my doing, things that I know God has done, to be credited to myself? I should be bringing honor to my Lord, bringing the glory to my Lord, and trusting only in Him not myself to accomplish the things in my life.

And then to read Psalm 90 - written by Moses - to see the humility and love that Moses had for God. How he trusted him to "establish the work of our hands". It is never too late to turn back and have God work through you, with you, no matter the sin. Start honoring Him in your speech, your thoughts, your actions today.

For me the very specific example of this is my car, which is having expensive problems right now, but God gave us 4 months of saving before we were able to get into our house last summer, so we have the money to take care of it. I could say "luckily" (and I've found myself saying that and corrected myself) or I could just take credit "I've been budgeting so..." but it's not the truth. The truth is that we trust God to take care of our needs and He knew the car would break down, and he knew how much money we would need and he has provided for that need. Just like water at Meribah. God is willing to provide for his children. All I have to do is remember to trust him and honor him with all the praise he deserves.

No comments:

Post a Comment